The Apple Watch actually looks pretty nice. I don’t know how I feel about smart watches in general, but as one of them, it’s pretty cool.
Some randomly cool features
- Remote Camera: You can leave your iPhone somewhere and see what the iPhone sees from your wrist. Creepy Sexy Cool.
- Heartbeat: like a personalized poke, you can send your heartbeat to another Apple Watch.
- Handover: whatever you’re seeing on the watch will be open on your iPhone (and what’s on your iPhone will be on your Macbook, etc).
- Payment: Apple is enabling mobile payments thru the thing, but this is useless to us here in the Third.
- Activity Tracker: built in, which is convenient for you, and the NSA. This also makes questions like ‘where were you the night of the 3rd’ even more irrelevant in court.
Stuff I don’t quite dig is its reliance on Siri (which, in my experience sucks for dictating messages and basic functions like that), the fact that it’s square (but that’s basically unavoidable for a display device), and I dunno, that it’s a watch at all. Also that it requires an iPhone to work (no SIM card or connectivity of its own), but I guess that’s also a feature in ways (as per handover above).
I still think the absolute best watches are mechanical (for the wonder of it) and the comfort I get in a watch is something that doesn’t run out of battery and remains useful during a zombie apocalypse.
That said, this is still a pretty cool thing and I think Apple will sell a bunch of it. They even have gold ones.