I think I got it from those streaming video sites. Damn you Mad Men.
This is weird, but it happened to me. Lately I noticed that Google links weren’t working and my Google search page had a ‘Google Kindle’ link at the bottom, which they don’t sell. This wasn’t just on my PC, it affected my iPad and everything on the WiFi network. So I figured the virus/malware was on the WiFi router, which it was. Which is a trip. Anyways, here’s the symptoms and a cure.
This malware seems to work by hijacking Amazon and Google to point to their affiliate links. Therefore they get a commission for each thing you buy, and I actually do buy a lot. Those assholes. This is just one symptom that I’m aware of. I do a lot of banking and purchasing online so anyone having that level of access to my shizz is terrifying.
Basically, reset your router and change the password. WiFi routers tend to have default passwords (ie, admin/admin) so I guess that’s how the hack gets in. I went to my router, shoved a pen in the reset hole and reset it. I then went to 192.168.1.1 (the address may vary, check your router settings and call your ISP) and went through the wizard to setup a new connection. Luckily I had the SLT username/pass around. Otherwise you’ll need to call your ISP. I can say that for SLT on a TP-8816 router the settings are basically default. Again, call for your particular situ.
And then I dug through the settings and changed the password. And that’s about it. Seems virus/malware free for now. I haven’t used Windows for years and haven’t worried about stuff. It’s scary that viruses can now infect the damn router.