Mahinda’s banknote/election handbill
These are some allegations of corruption I received in an email forward (Download PDF). They allege that over Rs 430 billion has been robbed/wasted ($4.3 billion USD). I can’t vouch for all of this, but there is a lot of wasted and lost money. The airlines, for example, have always been or been made into money losing enterprises. The hedging deal on oil was a huge loss, and we are paying more for less in many contracts, from power plants to these computers. I hadn’t heard about building a manmade safari park near Yala, but that also seems like a bad idea. This list doesn’t even include the cost of supporting the jumbo cabinet, but it is just a summary.
- Hedging Deal – Petroleum Chairman – Asantha De Mel – Exam passed ? None– Cricketer? Shiranthi’s relation – losses to Sri Lanka Rs. 230 Billion ( Rs. 230,000 Million) Chairman lost his job by virtue of a supreme Court order. The S.C. order to sell petrol at Rs.100 not complied yet (current price of a Petrol liter is Rs 130/?).
- Loss on National Carrier Air Lanka for 2007?2008 Rs. 10,000 Million (10 Billion) – Chairman Nishantha Wicremasinghe (Shiranth Rajapaksha’s Brother) – Exam Passed GCE O/L
- Loss on Mihin Air for 2007?2008 Rs. 4,000 Million (4 Billion) – Chief Executive Mahinda’s Sajin Vas Gunawardena – Exam passed GCE O/L
- New 2008 Budget allocation for Mihin Air Rs. 1,000 Million (1 Billion)
- Airport project Weerawila cancelled. Initial cost on feasibility study Rs 500 Million.
- Mig Deal – through “King’s cousin” Udayanga Weeratunga (Exam passed – GCE O/L Sri Lankan Ambassador – Russia ? purchase of 4 Mig fighters which were not air worthy from Belimissa holdings at a price Rs. 400 Million more than the last published price
- All defense purchases through Lanka Logistics ? Chief Executive Officer Jayantha Wicremasinghe – Exam passed GCE O/L– Mahinda’s Sister Gandhini’s Brother in Law the owner of ‘Akuressa Palace’ (also Chairman Bank of Ceylon Gamini Wicremasinghe’s Brother.)
- VAT Scam – Loss to the Country Rs. 35,000 Million. (Rs. 35 Billion) Inland Revenue Department – Minister of Finance – Mahinda Rajapaksha
- Hambantota Manmade Safari Park to be created at a cost of Rs. 16,000 Million (1.6 Billion) This makes no sense as the Natural Safari Park is next door in Yala.
- Kerawalapitiya power plant cost US $ 400 Million. Actual cost US $ 200 Million. Planned for 300 Mega Watts built for 200 mega watts.
- Kerawalapitiya power plant. (Additional Losses) Cost per day to CEB Rs 70 million. Per year Rs 25, 550 Million (25.5 Billion) Initial agreed purchasing price per unit Rs 18. Current purchasing price Rs 40/? Loss to the CEB from a unit Rs 22/?
- Uma Oya Project ? projected value US$ 265 Million enhanced value US $ 545 Million. Increase of US$ 280 Million. Rs. 28 Billion ( Rs. 28,000 Million). Two reservoirs that are built have an extent of only 50 acres. Victoria project has an extent of 7,500 acres. Minister–Chamal Rajapaksha – President’s brother
- Cabinet of Ministers have approved purchase of 35 Gantry Cranes at a price US $600,000 higher than the last purchase price. This purchase has not been effected yet. (Minister in Charge; Chamal Rajapaksa? President’s brother)
- Contract signed with Dilhan Wicremasinghe Shiranthi’s brother’s son (Chairman Air Lanka) to supply branded computers to all divisional Secretariats at a cost of US $ 16 Million (price per computer Rs. 150,000/=). He supplied all unbranded computers which are available at unity plaza at Rs. 50,000/=. Amount robbed Rs. 1,200 Million
I suppose the general issue is that whatever his intentions, Mahinda doesn’t put very good people in place. They tend to be placed for loyalty more than merit, and then there are psychos like Mervyn Silva very close to him. The prosecution of the war was pretty straightforward, but I don’t think he can (or has) move the economy forward in the same way. His main goal seems to be having, projecting and doling out feudal power. Hence we get projects in name and losses in the books. To that end I think a new administration would be a good idea.