I’ve always been fascinated by the bus art in Sri Lanka. Cerno has documented this pretty well, including a gallery on Flickr. They generally involve some fantastic combination of locations, Eiffel Tower, Temple Of The Tooth, and dragons, for example. I think they are wonderful pieces of imagination, though not quite as art as the old-school painted designs on lorries. Photoshop without aesthetic training is like a monkey with a switchblade. I’ve always wanted to do my own and now that I have a functional monitor I tried one. This is a collage of skylines and images, all fully legit and Creative Commons licensed for this purpose. It is the Sydney Opera House being attacked by a Lego sea monster during a lightning storm over the city of Vancouver/Miami/Hong Kong/Seattle/New York/opolis. The moon has also fallen down. And the whole thing is on top of Niagara Falls.
This is obviously not especially well done or even creative, it was just fun. I think it’s a lovely street estyle. Anyways, these are the sources. Each is better than the final result.
- Sydney Opera House – Vermin Inc
- Lego Dragon From Disney World – Palindrome6996
- Manhattan, 1936 – New York Public Library, via Flickr’s Common’s (stuff outta copyright)
- Miami Summer – Doolittle1989
- Full Moon at Perigee – Kukkurovaca
- Niagra Falls By Night – Insight Imaging
- Space Needle – ttstam
- Evil Clouds Over Vancouver – Stuck In Customs
- Hong Kong Skyline – James Cridline
This stuff is all cool for non-commercial derivative works as far as I know, under the liberating Creative Commons licensing system. The Flickr search for that stuff is a lifesaver for doing legit editorial work as well. This is a link to the advanced search I use, with all the relevant boxes checked.