Photo via ACT Lanka
A friend is putting together a roster of doctors to send north. Doctors and nursing staff are quite needed but there are two huge caveats. One is that access is difficult, and two is that accommodation is not very good. Issue number one can be sorted (sorta) for Sri Lankan nationals. You need to be a Sri Lanka registered doctor with a SL passport or NIC. And, sad to say it, security clearance is much more difficult if you’re Tamil, though that language skill is of course most valuable up there. Regardless, if you’re a Sri Lankan doctor and interested in helping up there it’s much needed, and good experience in its way. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info, they’re putting together a roster.
Here are the questions I was given:
1) Are they Tamil, and if not do they speak Tamil? (security is tougher, unfortunately)
2) Can they pay for their travel (airfare etc) to Colombo.
3) accommodation will be provided, but living conditions are cramped
4) prospective dates that the Consultant/Doctor is available?
5) security is super tight. so there are no guarantees that ANYBODY may be suddenly turned away at a checkpoint.