Sri Lankan Monopoly, view full size
This was a late-night idea at Deshan’s which has gone farther than it perhaps should have. Not my idea, note. I have worked on this all day because it feels like work but it’s not. This is another localization of Monopoly, like the British version, Ghettopoly, etc. The districts are all Colombo 1-8, with corresponding street names. There are also localized Chance/Com Chest cards ranging from ‘Dengue’ to ‘Get Government Tender’. The game pieces are imagined to be Trishaw, Jaguar, Two-Three-Legged-Dogs-Copulating (one piece), cow, bus, etc. Strangely enough, I think it makes the most sense to use real Sri Lankan Rupees cause you only need Rs 1,500 to play. It also introduces a gambling element to the game. And yeah.
These are the districts, loosely broken down by property value, not location. Dias had the most hand in picking these and the order.
Wellawatta and Borella
Bamblapitiya and Havelock Town
Slave Island and Kollupitiya
Colombo 7 and Fort
Instead of Railroads there are local shopping establishments (MC, Barefoot). These could also be schools (Royal, St Thomas), Bus Lines (177, 138, Galle Road), or Hotels (Cinnamon, Hilton, Hotel de Pilawoos). I dunno. The Electric and Water companies are CEB and SLT. Jail is Welikada and Goto Jail is a checkpoint. I’m also not sure that Ward Place is equivalent to Boardwalk, but I dunno what in Colombo 7 is. Anyways, these are the cards we came up with thus far.
- Open Tuition Class – Get Rs 100
- Become Beach Boy for weekend – Get Rs 200
- Open Casino – Get Rs 300
- Get Out of Jail
- Student Riots, Car is Destroyed – Pay Rs 200
- Receive Dowry – Get Rs 200, gold, and cow
- BOMB! – Return to Go, collect no salary
- Get Government tender. Do nothing – Get Rs 300
- Grant from NGO – Get Rs 200
- Obtain public land for country club – Pick any property and took it. Plus slap
- Dengue! – Skip your next turn
- Win Sirasa Superstar – Win Rs 400 and hair straightening
- Get hit with siri-siri bag full of poo – Rs 100 dry cleaner bill
- Become Mayor of Colombo – Rs 400 payoff
- Car towed by bomb squad – Pay Rs 200
- Throw cricket match – Get Rs 200
- Defraud VAT – Get Rs 500
- Start NGO – Get Rs 300
- Get completely shitfaced. Wake up in Ward Place
- Daughter gets married – Pay Rs 200
- Patronize Russian prostitute – Pay Rs 200
- Become MP – Rs 400
These are obviously not finished. I suppose you could actually print the cards and board on cardboard if you wanted to and play the game, or just laser print it. I would buy it, oi. Or perhaps this is a not entirely sober idea taken too far. I have been hanging out with babies all weekend and they or their parents have given me some new and vicious cold. Babies look cute but they’re shifty.