This is a geeky thing, but I take a lot of code from the WordPress community and since I cobbled together a crappy solution I figured that I might as well share it.
Doing something as simple as adding an image is a pain in the ass. There’s an upload screen built in but, you have to leave the post to get there (or open a new window). What I did was make a pop-up link on the posting screen. When I click that it lets me upload and get back to my post. This is a read-me of sorts:
1. Backup admin-header, edit-form, and edit-form-advanced,
2. Copy the 5 included files to /wp-admin
Changing of link layout or styles can be done in edit-form and edit-form advanced, in the Quicktag section
2. _admin-header-minimal_: this is a minimal header to keep the upload box simple
3. _edit-form_: This is where the link to the upload dialog is (in the Quicktag div)
4. _edit-form-advanced_: same as above, just for Advanced Posts
5. _upload-minimal_: This is a minimal version of upload.php to keep the upload box simple.